Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope Francis, the Catholicism I know, and Fun

Before issuing his first blessing to his flock yesterday, Pope Francis humbly bowed his head and asked for our prayers.

Upon awaking as Pope he declined special transportation, instead, opting to ride on the bus that brought him to the Vatican.  He checked himself out of the hotel where he was staying while in conclave, gathered his own bags and paid for his room.   After a stop to pray, he went back to the Vatican to begin his work.

I am fascinated by the people in the media and around me that are saying things like, "I know what I need to hear the Pope say."  Or, "The Pope needs to reform this or make a stance on that."  From the little that I know about this man, and in his example shown thus far, I make no claim to know best what should be said or done.  I do however hope to learn from him and I hope that the faith that I love is well cared for by him.

I am a cradle Catholic with wise parents who told me when I was young and just beginning to question various aspects of religion, "We are giving you your religion, but God gave you a brain... use it."

It was a gift doubly given.  A beautiful faith and the freedom to question, in effect removing the oft felt desire to rebel when things aren't exactly as you think they should be.

I never felt for a moment that if I missed church, I was no longer in God's favor, but I also knew it was better to go.   I knew that church wasn't the only place where God was, but I knew He was present and that celebrating your faith with others strengthens both you and your community.

Because of that, I enjoyed going to mass and went regularly, even through college.  I was not part of the 'college Catholics,' nor was I a model human during that time but I knew God welcomed me regardless and I knew it felt good to go.  As the years went on, I found that many people who felt odd about going (because they drank or smoked or slept around or for some other reason felt 'unwelcome') started joining me.  I liked the idea that my friends and I were helping to shatter the myth that the only people who go to church in college are either 'uber-religious,' or trying to impress a date :)  Though, I will admit, there was no shortage of cute boys there that helped get my arse in gear on some particularly hazy Sundays.

Going to church in college helped me get back on path when I felt purpose slipping away and it helped me stay strong in morals and values that were important to me.  Twice when I was slipping into depressions, friends (who were not particularly religious themselves) insisted that we go to church together... each time it cleared my eyes and helped me move forward.  Whether they believed or cared about church or not, they cared about me and knew that I benefitted from the service and the Eucharist.

Now, as an adult, I am  part of the RCIA (rite of Christian Initiation for Adults aka super cool peeps who wanna be Catholic) team at my parish and I get to be renewed in my own faith by people who are coming to it for the first time as adults.  It would be impossible to count the times I have silently thanked my parents for this incredible gift of this beautiful faith.

All this said, are there times that I have trouble with some Catholic doctrine?  Are there times in RCIA where I have to staple gun my lips shut? Are there times I spoke and the head of RCIA looked at me like I have 17 heads and the tongue of a serpent?  Yes.  the answer to all these are yes.  And yet, despite how right I feel I am on my opinions (and for those of you who know me... I usually think I'm really really ridiculously correct,) I have genuinely never felt excluded by or enraged at Catholicism itself.

I understand that the hierarchy of the Catholic Church is flesh and blood man, no different than you or me.  There was never a mysticism or heroism placed, in my eyes, around any priest, bishop or pontiff for that matter (though most of my life held Pope John Paul II as the Holy See... but even so, it seemed clear in my eyes that it was the man and not the position he held that garnered such incredible praise and admiration.)   Therefore it is possible and moreover likely that the 'church' will make mistakes and that those that claim to represent it have the potential to be complete sinful A-holes.  But, those individuals and those pressure cooked decisions can not define a 2,000 year old faith that is based on loving your neighbor as yourself as Jesus taught us to do.

I also understand that I, though brilliant and incredibly intuitive, do not know everything about God.  I don't know everything about Jesus or the Bible.  I don't know everything about my kids or my husband, myself or my dog for that freaking matter.  I can happily and unabashedly say that I don't know.  So, however strongly I feel about social agenda or political opinions that may differ from the church... I'm going to take a deep breath or two before I let those things rip me away from an incredible faith that has done nothing but filled my life with joy and fulfillment and has brought me closer to God when I let it.

I also know that I, though (again) brilliant and intuitive, am just slightly over the borderline of crazy train.  Let's put it this way... prior to Fun's Some Nights, the two songs that lyrically spoke to me most both had writers who shortly thereafter committed suicide through heroin overdoses.  ...I am tempted to send a warning to Fun's Nate Ruess... So clearly I have issues of my own... but that's all for another blog post.

So here I stand, skeptical of man in general but in love with a faith that is comprised of people who believe in the power of prayer, the protection of angels and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  Before me is a man who has accepted the daunting job to lead that faith and he seems to be devout and humble and brilliant.  And he chose a saint's name that is the epitome of living life as a servant to others.

So though it would have felt arrogant before, at his request, I pray fervently for Pope Francis.  That he fulfills God's will for a faith that I love, whatever it may be.  That he inspire people around the globe to be the best versions of themselves.  That he brings people closer to God whether through our religion or their own just by his example.  That he is happy and fulfilled in his new job.  And, that if he ever feels lost and alone... or he's sinking like a stone... that he Carry Oonnnnnnn... 

God Bless Pope Francis.  And God Bless Fun...

thanks for reading,

-m

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your view?